Sunday, March 01, 2009

Friends will be friends...

...when you're in need of love, they give you care and attention...
At least, that's according to Queen's lyric.

On my old blog I had some posts on my vision to some things, as to friendship and all. But since the old blog died (*sobs* so many hours of work on it) all the work died with it. And since some recent events happened, combined with the "experience" of my youth (gosh now I do seem old!) it got me to thinking again. Nope, for those who are wondering now, it doesn't hurt. The thinking part that is. Some of the old memories do hurt though...

I used to have just one or two good friends. Never really belonged in a popular group. How I hated it... But now I start seeing things differently (aging does silly things to you) and I think differently and that does change my vision and opinion. Now I have more dear friends than I ever had. And I know they aren't just my "friends" because they want something from me (like in the not so good old times). They do care about me and show interest in me. That realy feels good. But the strange thing is, that in my opinion, I haven't changed much at all. I am still me. Honest to the bone, straight forward and hopefully a devoted friend to others.

But what does bug me once in a while, is the way people have "used" my friendship. Or how people just seemed to think that my devotion to maintaining a good friendship means they can walk all over me. That I am a slave to their wishes. They were right when it comes to my childhood. But now, I am not that "easy" anymore. And then I wonder again, how people sometimes don't even try to position themselves in the other person's shoes, just to imagine how they would feel then. That might be one of my "flaws". I try too much to imagine how others would feel upon my doings.

Am I still interesting or did you skip and scroll for the biggest part of this blog already?

Some times people can make me really upset by saying things that they obviously did not think about before blabbing it out. They might mean well and have the best intentions... And then maybe they have only their best intentions... Or they really are ignorant to the hurt they can cause others by saying stuff without thinking it through first. Yeah maybe it takes you 3 minutes longer to spill your thoughts out. But what if you know that those 3 minutes might be worth it? That it could change your expressions so you still mean the same thing, but it's brought out better to the ones intended? As written, people who know me know I'm down to the point straight forwarded with anything I feel, think or just say. But I'll never make a comment or statement without knowing exactly why I feel that way about something. People who make a statement and then get asked why and then answer with something like: because it's just how I feel... They do not come over as very honest people to me. There must be a reason for them to cherish just those feelings... Are they afraid of telling the truth? Of exposing themselves? Or is it just because they want to make a statement but really haven't got a clue?

That's the thing about a good friendship. The understanding of eachother is like a foundation of a home. It needs to be solid and you need to be able to build on it. A friendship isn't like an instant home though... You need to build it brick by brick. Work together to make it strong and reliable. When there's just one person building and the other is nowhere to be seen, one should think about how serious the other takes it.
Of course you don't always need to agree on everything. As long as you both can accept each others feelings and meanings it can even make a friendship tighter. Because you have looked at things from different perspectives and still agreed that a different outcome isn't such a big deal. Of course, one could get into an argument about things. As long as the argumentations are honest and right, the outcome should be positive if the foundation of the friendship is a strong one.

Ah well, I may continue this another time...or not... It depends on my mood I guess. Feel free to leave me a comment! I'm always open for dictussions, opinions and other's views on things.

Ta-ta for now sweet followers!
I'll be back!

Cynni xxx

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sweets!

Well I totally understand what you were saying..I had the same experience when I was younger with my so called "friends".

Anyways I am glad I have some real friends now like you :)
We think the same about a lot of things which makes it sometimes way easier..we only need to say a few words and we both know exactly what the other persons means hihi.

And yes what you said..having an argument or a different point of view about something is not a problem..as long as you respect each other and respect the other persons opinion. If you talk about it in a normal way..it should not cause problems between friends..well at least that is what I think. Not that we had this kind of problem :)

well I guess that was enough rambling for now hihi.

huuugs and lots of love
Steph xxx

Ginnean said...

this is gonna be a long comment (you gave me a lot to think about) so i just thought i'd warn you.

Your blog made me a little sad tonight sweets. I wish things had been better for you in the past but i am glad that finally the people in your life appreciate how wonderful you are.
Talking without thinking first can go badly sometimes i agree, but it depends on the situation. When you're talking to someone you're really comfortable with its natural to just speak your mind without feeling like you need to edit yourself in general conversation and its more of a sign of trust in the other person knowing you well enough to understand or to let you explain if it comes out wrong. When talking about deeper/sensitive subjects though a bit of thought first does go a long way.

In regard to the "because it's just how I feel..." well i guess it depends on the context/situation. If they are saying it about an emotion, yes it can be frustrating when they dont elaborate (ok so kind of guilty of saying it myself in that situation sometimes) but sometimes there isn't an explanation to why we feel happy/sad/hyper/grouchy. sometimes (well with me at least) sometimes i just feel that way and i dont know why. other times it can simply be that they dont feel comfortable or find it hard discussing how they feel or they simply dont know how to articulate their feelings and thoughts.
On the other hand if they are saying it with regard to an opinion on something like, for example, "i think joss whedon should be president and everyone should grow a mullet" and then they follow up with that as their reason then yeah that is annoying and i agree can sometime seem like they are just talking out their arses (sorry for silly example i couldn't think of a good one lol)

I think when you've had friends who've used you, it can be easy to become jaded about friendship and to lose your trust in people.
Although i didn't know you when you were younger it seems to me like you have managed to get through it all without losing yourself or your faith in people but have become a stronger person. You should be proud of yourself for that.

And that concludes my mammoth comment. There's more things you have given me to think about in this blog post but they are more thoughts that require a personal mulling over than a discussion.

PS I have never and will never skip/scroll through your blogs - i enjoy reading them too much to ever do that.

©ynni said...

Thanks Steph and Gin for your sweet comments!

Gin, I am glad that you enjoy reading my blogs. I also always skip to yours when I see you've posted a new one :) It's visible on my site as well :)

Thanks girls for being my friends!