Monday, May 04, 2009

FedCon 18 - more text update: Friday/Saturday

Hello everyone,

We're now on the way back from the Emmen Zoo. Luckily the weather was good enough, seeing my dad went along and normally it ALWAYS rains when he's there... But today just some small drops and the rest of the day was dry and sunny even. We made many pictures and I got irritated with the parents who did not control their kids. All screaming and putting kids in front of the big windows so all others could see were kids' @$$es. And when the animal went away, they took the kids down so others could see...the grass...seeing the animal had gone... But after I am finished with all the FedCon 18 info, I will post some Emmen Zoo pictures. One thing I know for sure: spring is in the air! A LOT of animals were humping around, trying to create new offspring.

BUT FIRST:
Back to the FedCon 18 update.

*note about error in previous post: German for queue is Schlange... I spelled it wrong, my apologies!*

Where was I? I believe I left you after our first two photoshoots with Marc and Jeffrey.

After the photoshoots, it was almost time for the opening ceremonial. And no way we wanted to miss out on that! I know I already wrote bits about this ceremony, but now I will try to share all I can remember with you... Here I go:
Seeing we had "late" tickets with numbers 1071 and 1072 (although we did book last year October!) we were more inthe back of the area. Part C, row 21. First Marc B. Lee (the ceremonial leader/FedCon leader during the convention welcomed each and everyone of us. He mentioned that there were people from at least 28 countries (it later turned out to be 31 countries) were attending (who registered by buying pre-tickets). Then he told us to shut off all camera equipped items because thanks to Paramount, we were able to see 28 minutes of the new Star Trek movie (several short parts). He made a joke about security with special night vision goggles but we already had seen at least 2 men on the balcony who indeed had these special night vision viewers. But everyone really behaved well and it was truely worth it! After that, Marc told us several "house rules" before he went on introducing the stars of FedCon 18. He started with the German authors that were present, followed by Erin Grey (Wilma Deering in Buck Rodgers -amongst others- actress). She then had to pass the microphone on to two Eureka people (shame on me for not remembering their names at the moment, but I've never seen the show). After them came the Star Trek (Deep Space Nine, Voyager & Enterprise) people, who in their turn were followed by three of the four Battlestar Galactica people. Then a big introduction for Admiral Adama from Battlestar Galactica: Edward James Olmos (hope I spelled it right). But then, the woman we've all been waiting for: the one and only TOS (The Original Series - Star Trek) lady Nichelle Nicols! And as I mentioned before: a standing ovation for 10 minutes by over 2000 guests and even that felt not good enough for her. At 76 still beautiful and full of grace, owning the stage and all our hearts the moment she made her appearance! Her speech was a long one, filled with love, lovely anekdotes and warmth that flowed directly from her heart. The sparkles in her eyes, sometimes "disturbed" by tears of gratitude, the way she owned the stage and each and everyone of us... I am still totally and only full of positive feelings for that marvellous woman! In the end, her speech was longer than anyone expected (Marc included who tried to interrupt her but was quickly on the side of the stage again) but no one really did mind it at all!

After the wonderful opening, Joyce and I were kinda hungry since we had not eaten anything since that morning at the "Raststette" (highway restaurant in Germany) and we were also getting quite tired. But the food they served at the convention was not really to our liking. So we decided to eat some yummy candy at our hotel instead. Before we were heading backto the U-bahn, Joyce needed a toiletbreak. While I was waiting, Jeffrey Combs passed by. A kid I did not know was really kind and made a picture of both Jeffrey and me. *yay for kids growing up in a digital world and knowing how to handle a digital camera*. When Joyce came back, luckily she wasn't really "pissed" for missing it (haha I know, lousy words of choice for someone who just came from the toilet, my attempt of writing my story in a witty way). When we were heading for the exit, there was Richard Hatch. We missed our chance for his photoshoot so I went up to him and asked about a chance to get in a picture with him. He was about ready to grab a dinner but if we'd be quick, it was OK! So sweet of him. Maybe the stroopwafels (Dutch "candy") we handed out to all the stars we met during the autograph sessions did help...seeing he remembered us from that and said it was OK. *yay for the stroopwafels*. So after a quick picture, thank you, have a nice dinner and sleep tight, we headed back to the hotel.

Some of the things I just wrote about were already on the blog. Some with only words and some of the pictures I mentioned being taked were also already on this blog in a previous post. Seeing that evening, back at our hotel, we hooked up to the internet. I wrote my small blog and Joyce chatted with George on MSN. I also uploaded some pictures to my photobucket to share with all of you. While Joyce was chatting, I took a quick shower. I really needed it for sure!

I think we really went to bed around 23:30. We had to get up around 6:45 am again. Our hotel was near Bahnhoff Bad Godesberg. Luckily there were shutters in front of our windows so that blocked out the light and most of the noise. Around 3 am I woke because I was frakking hungry! (again: wanna know what Frak means: watch Battlestar Galactica). I ate some candy and that helped a bit. Then I tried to sleep again till the alarm clock went. I woke before it went, so I put on the laptop and woke Joyce with music instead of the bleeping sounds. I got dressed, made sure the bag was packed with all we needed. When we were ready, we were at breakfast in the hotel at around 7:30. We ate, and I ate a lot seeing I needed it, and after that we grabbed our bag and went to the U-bahn. Back to FedCon! On to the interesting photo- and autograph sessions. On to meeting the stars and meeting new people. When we arrived, we knew we were at FedCon again, since we had to queue again to get in at the time it would open!

Seeing "Q" is a Star Trek character, I am thinking of different things to put on a T-shirt for the 19th FedCon convention next year (April 30th till May 2nd). Something like:
I Q
You Q
We must be at FedCon
And on the back something like:
I'm the first in this Q
Follow me

Haha I know it's silly but it might be useful...

So anyway: we were in the "slange" again. While we were waiting, Richard Hatch passed us by. I wished him a good morning, he wished us a good morning as well. Then he asked how we slept (seeing we told him we were heading to our hotel the night before) and we asked him how his dinner (seeing he was on his way to dinner when he went on the picture with us) was. It was a nice and easy going, but short conversation. Other people (mostly with day tickets) were looking their eyes out! So funny! They are really "just" people like you and me. Only they make more money when signing. When I sign stuff, it normally costs me money...

Seeing we were interested in the first 3 photoshoots of the day (Max, Nana & Robert), we headed to the photosession area right away. There were already some people in line when we arrived. It quickly became more and more (will show some queue pictures asap). We had some nice people behind us, so we had fun. Then a few minutes before 10, Max arrived. He walked up to the queue, asking what was happing that was so special that all of us were waiting for it to happen. Silly man... We all went MOOGIE! (seeing his DS9 character Rom always said it when talking about his mum). He told me that my Moogie sounded great. Then he went to the guys behind us and
asked on of them if he'd be joining Max' panel later on. His responce: I'll be there, what about you? So funny and Max told us he'd think about it. Haha! Then it was time for him to start his photosession so he went into the room and the Schlange was moving. After the picture was taken we rushed over to the next queue: Nana. She was really BIG compared to what we thought she would be (ONLY in hight, her body is still one to be jealous of...seeing she's born in 1957, so you do the math!). But we did find out later that she was wearing heels with an aprox. hight of 5cm (almost 2 inches)... After those pictures, on to the next queue for Robert. A guy in front of us was around 2.10 meters (dunno the American height) and the photographer had to take out one of his cases for Robert to stand on! It was really funny and we all applauded for this action. Then we were done with the photographs for a few hours.

About out photograph sessions: we went on the pictures together, so we had 2 pictures taken with each star. After one picture, Joyce and I traded places for the next picture. This way we had two different pictures with each guest.

After these 3 sessions we were looking for the place where Nichelle would be signing. There was a whole lot of confusion about when and where. We were told to check back at the info stand an hour later so they hopefully would have more info for us. Near the info, Edward, James and Michael (all 3 Battletar Galactica) were signing. So we went into that queue, saw Sandra (a fellow "Q" person we met before) and moved up to join her. When we wanted a picture for the signing (which were normally around 3 euro) they told us that they cost 15 euro since the actors brought them theirselves)... So I rushed to the FedCon shop and bought a nicer picture for 3 euros... And rushed back. I made films and Joyce made pictures of both Michael and Edward signing. We were told that it was not allowed when James was signing.. Stupid... After that, we went back to the info to find out about Nichelle's signing. They told us to go up and there they told us to go down again... Sigh...

So when we saw 3 people waiting at a sign with Nichelle at the Karlstad shop, we just stubbornly joined them. The guy from the shop tried to get rid of us by telling us time and again that Nichelle would only be singing stuff bought in their shop. But we just stood where we were and did not listen to him. In the end, about 7 people for their picture signed for free and then only people with merchandise were getting through to Nichelle. We were lucky and able to give Nichelle our stroopwafels as well. Then we were racing to the Nichelle photosession queue. There was a huge line! I mean HUGE! I did make some pictures of it, so I will post them later on. But each and every person in that line just thought ONE thing: it's really worth it! And it truely was! In that line we met a young woman who was dressed as a Trill. Totally don't know her name anymore, but she was really nice and it made the waiting time go quickly. So if you are reading this (which I doubt, but still): I'd like to thank all the lovely people who made my time in the waiting lines more fun! Then, while waiting, Nana Visitor walked by. I asked our Trill and Joyce if they could hold my place so I could take a picture of Nana. But someone offered to take a picture of me WITH Nana. And of course I did not refuse. In the end, Nana looked the wrong way on the picture...BUT that got "corrected" on Sundaymorning.

I will send off this FedCon 18 update now and will try to post more asap!

Keep checking and I'll keep posting whenever I have the time.

Luv, Cynni xxx

2 comments:

Ginnean said...

glad you had a fun weekend :D

Rebecca said...

hey! ik was ook bij de fedcon en ik kwam random langs je blog, leuk om zo'n uitgebreid verslag te lezen! het was echt super he! hoeveel foto's hebben jullie wel niet met nana genomen? *is jealous* ;)