Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Here it comes…

…here comes the weekend (© Roxette).

*I wanted to post a video of the song by Roxette here, but there was no good quality on YouTube yet… Am ripping my MTV Unplugged DVD, will need to edit to get the song and then upload it… Am working on it now...*

Just 2 more days that will be spend at work and then, it’s weekend already! But for me, it can’t be weekend soon enough. Work was OK though today, seeing it was a not too busy day and my boss had a day off. So we had everything spick and spam in no time and we even had some fun doing it.

I have been getting some nice comments of some dear friends on my previous posts and I really appreciate it! Thanks galls! I know I would be a dumb @$$ if I would not go with George and Joyce on vacation. But I am scared that I might spoil the fun. That’s why it keeps me wondering if I would be a total egoistic person if I would join, just because otherwise I would be scared to miss anything. On the other hand, I am not egoistic if I have so many doubts about it just because I do not want to spoil their moods. It is not easy, that is for sure. But hopefully I will be able to discuss this with Joyce and George as well (though it’s a bit harder with George, due to him being more stubborn than I am at times) that I might have some mood swings if I join and there might be times that I really need to be left alone to figure things out. I guess I would blame myself for not going, when I am here all alone and feeling down. And I also guess I would hit myself in the head for not going when they return with a lovely tan and all these experiences… So I guess my best guess is as good as yours and I might join them after all… I will need to talk about the sometimes needed a bit of time just for me, myself and I. But I think that it will work out… Don’t you think so?

800px-Flag_of_the_Dominican_Republic.svg 
The flag of the Dominic Republic.

A site with some pictures taken all around the Dominic Republic.

DominicanRepublic_MAP

And some Google Earth images, so people who have no idea where the DR is, hopefully they know after reading-viewing this blog.

Google Earth - North, Middle and South America Google Earth - Middle America

Google Earth - Middle America 2

Google Earth - DK 1

Some more info about the country can be found on this Wikipedia site. And many people have asked me how long our flight will approximately take. The answer to that question is: ±9 hours. The time zone of the DR (DR = Dominic Republic) is GMT-5 hours. Seeing the Netherlands is  GMT+1, there is a time difference of 6 hours.

I do hope that, especially for the ones who did not have a clue where the DR is, this blog post has made things a bit easier to understand. Otherwise, just download Google Earth™ and search for it!

I have been thinking a whole lot about myself, my situation and my feelings. Maybe because it was an easy day at work, I felt a bit more relaxed and allowed myself to do as I pleased. As I wrote before, all the work was done and in time, with fun. And that is what I have been missing so much. Fun at work. We’re supposed to work like we’re robots, and what’s the fun in that? if our work could be done by robots, we would have been replaced as soon as the market was ready for it. But I guess many people would hate to see robots running a store. No real people to interact with (or even nag at, at times!) and no feelings. Shopping, even grocery shopping, maybe especially grocery shopping, is done with feelings. You have to wonder what you like to eat, what you would like to “feed” the people you live with and how much time you’d like to spend cooking/preparing it. When you are in a hungry mood, you are bound to find your shopping basket fuller than you had intended.But the hunger makes you wish to buy more delicious things. And some people enjoy talking to us, talking with me, because some people know I will take an interest in them personally. Why else would I be able to call some customers by their first name? Some people even get mad if I use any polite forms (like madam or sir) when they have told me I need to just call them by their name? I have had some complaints in the almost 8 years but I have had many, many more compliments! And I think some people, if they wish to complain about anything they will, but making compliments is something that people normally don’t just do. I mean, when something is wrong on the register, they’ll complain immediately (well, some of them) but when things are OK, they usually take it for granted. So when people give you heart felt compliments, it does feel good. But when your boss tells you that you don’t work as he would like you to, you start to wonder if it is you who does anything wrong, or (seeing you get compliments) that your boss has a slightly weird idea or good and bad doing… And that is what makes me wonder so much, the good and bad perspective of things. It is important to keep your boss happy (is it?) but I believe it is even more important that the customers are happy! If you only do as your boss tells you and it creates a bad atmosphere in the store, a customer will not be eager to come back again. If the customer feels like his/her needs are filled and he/she is treated with respect, as a real guest of the store, he/she will be eager to come back and buy (maybe) even more the next time… Or is it just me who thinks like this?

Colored flowers

I am now rendering the “Here comes the weekend” MTV unplugged video by Roxette. So when it is done, I can upload it to my YouTube™ and then finally add it to this blog post. It seems silly to tell you what I have been doing and am doing, when you don’t even notice it, because when you read this, it’s all ready and done.

I do hope that this blog will shed some more light on my current feelings, and even more, thoughts and perspective. I am always happy when you leave a comment, and I am even more grateful then, because I know some people read it, but by leaving me a comment, it shows a bit more how much you care.

I am starting to have some trouble writing now, I am getting quite tired, I guess. So I will post this blog now and promise you that as soon as I can post the video of today’s song, I will! Yeah, in case you haven’t noticed, I am trying to make a title based on a song, based on how I am feeling when I am writing the post. And, when ever possible, I will post the (YouTube™) video as well, so you are able to listen to the song, in case you don’t know it (yet).

TTFN everyone, thanks for caring!!!
Cynni xxx

4 comments:

Ginnean said...

i agree with you about work. in a customer based industry, you can't neglect the customer, their needs and feelings have to be given priority.

With regards to the holiday i tried keeping my mouth shut but... well... here goes (feel free to ignore me) my thoughts would be that you should go. Ok so you might get there and feel like you want to be alone or be in a bad mood, but if that is the case then you could always send george and joyce off somewhere for the day and spend a little time having some r&r alone at the hotel or beach.

I totally hadn't noticed the song/title connection and now feel very daft lol

Steph said...

hey sweetie,

Sorry I haven't been able to read and comment to your latest posts earlier. Due to my own jobhunting and daily things but well a little update about it I've sent to Joyce in an email..so you can read it there.
Okay enough about me though.

I am so sorry to hear you are/have been going through such a difficult time. I can understand the troubles at work could have been reflected in a way that you started doubting yourself like if you do your job right or not. But if you get a lot of positive comments from your customers it says more than getting a bad one. There are always people around who nag about everything but the people who give you positive comments and feel good about getting served by you is the main thing. I think your boss is not being fair to you. It surely seems he is trying to say bad things to make you leave your work. Of course he might have had extra expenses because you have been at home more for sick leave (because of your surgeries)than others maybe..but it isn't something you asked for. It isn't your fault you had to go through that so he has no right to say those things a lot to make you feel bad. You always give 200% at work..even when you weren't feeling great and had a lot of pain.

However though I can imagine it must be hard going to work every day when you feel he is looking for a reason to give you a bad feeling. You don't deserve that sweetie *huuuug*

About the holiday. Well I have been at the same island you are going to and all I can remember I had a great time. I can imagine you might have/had some second thoughts about it but as the others say it might be nice to be somewhere nice on holiday and be away from the stress from working and other things. And I can also imagine that you need some me-time occasionally..but as Joyce also said..if there is a day you like to spend on your own..you can always do that and this way it will probably turn out into a relaxing and well needed holiday.
But of course it is something you have to decide for yourself and who am I to tell you what you should do. I do know that after all you had to go through (work and your own health situation with the recovering after your surgery) you really deserve to have a break.

I wanted to let you know you always have my support and I am here for you as a dear friend. I care a lot about you and it makes me sad when you are feeling sad.
I hope things at work will improve as you said you had a nice day at work again. Having fun at work is very imported so I hope it will stay like that.

As for the holiday..I hope you will go and try to have a good and relaxing time..in whatever way you will spend it :) but only you can make that decision.

I am here for you just like all the others.

love & hugs
Steph xxx

Unknown said...

Hey sweety,

First of all I want you to know that I think you're doing a great job at work. Every time when I enter the Super de Boer while you are working, you are smiling and that's a very good thing to see when you enter a store. I think your boss needs to look at himself and he needs to wonder what he is doing to you and the others cause what you told me you are not the only one with bad feelings about how things are going around there.

About the vacation: I told you already, I think you should go and have some fun and be alone when you want to. I mean. We are on vacation together but that does not mean we have to be with each other all the time. Right??

I noticed the starts of you blogs already and I think it's cool. When I read the first line I automatically begin to sing the song haha.

Love you

Joyce

Swanny said...

Quote: "But I think that it will work out… Don’t you think so?"

I DO think so!

And your boss clearly doesn´t get the point about making the customers feel like "kings and queens"...which is what they are supposed to feel like according to a German saying: "Der Kunde ist König!"
I really like what I read in Joyce´s comment. That you seem to always be smiling when she sees you there with the customers. You´re obviously doing a great job and have got the right attitude.

PS: And sorry I didn´t comment much before but it was only recently that I realized that you actually CAN commet here. Silly me. But: Yes, your blog gets read! :)