Friday, March 24, 2006

Writing practise

I have read several blogs of people who are writers and I find the same "exercise" on many of them. It is that you have to take a story and tell it again, from someone else's view. I just wrote about my grandma and her troubles when she had the wrong medcation. I want to try to get into her mind and tell it again. I used "flashes" of the things she has seen. And I used a lot of thoughts, since when living alone, one tends to think some things rather than to say it. AT least, my granny does...

Getting up is never easy when you're getting old. Ah there is my bathrobe. Ow gotta run to the toilet. I wish that lift would go faster down... Just made it! Well, I better make some breakfast, cup of tea and get my pills. Ah there is the newspaper.
Hmm, I wonder if I hit my head. Nope, no bumps. But what is that? There is a cat on my table. "SHOO! Get off you!" Stupid animal... "Hey I told you to beat it!" Ah, where was I? Ah yes, the paper. Ow bugger, now the tea's gone cold. Well, better clean it up and go wash myself. WHAT???
"What happened here? Hey who did this? Why is there all this grafitti on my walls?"
and a moment later all was well again
Ow there is that cat again, he brought some friends. I'd better put open the windows so they all can leave me in peace. What is happening today? I cannot tell anyone, they would lock me up in a nuthouse for sure. No, better keep my mouth shut and pretend all is well when my daughter gets here.
she was down again, the windows on the second floor still open
I have to hide! The Nazi's are back. I don't wanna go into the gas chamber. Better go hide where they don't find me.
she locked herself in the toilet. when my mum arrived, she got a bog shock. all was open, grandma was nowhere to be found.
I have to keep quiet. They may not hear me. They told me not to move or to open the door. Door must stay closed. I can hear you calling, but I will not answer. I may not answer. I am cold but I have to stay here. What if they find me? What if they see that I opened that door? No I have to stay.
my mum tried, at last, the toilet door. when she could not open it, she knew enough. it took her a lot of time to open it, but inside she found her mother. at that point, when the door opened, a bit of grandma returned.
"Ow thank you! They locked me up here and I was not allowed to open the door."
since she sat on the toilet cover for a long time, bruises were already showing (she has thin skin, bruises very easily)
"Who locked me? No never mind, I just forgot how to open the door. Why I didn't respond? I must have fallen asleep. No there is nothing wrong, I am just cold."
but after a while it came back and my mum was still there
No I can not let her know. I just stare at the wall like nothing is going on. There is no cat on my table, I do NOT see the Nazi people surrounding me and those kids again with their grafitti, they are also not real. If I just keep on looking at that spot there, she will not know. Hmm, I should have a converstation, I know, but I just cannot concentrate enough to also talk... What is happening? They will lock me up. "I'm not crazy."
my mum looked up, already wondering what she was talking about beneath her breath and why she was staring at the wall. that was the que to get the doc in asap.
"Why are you calling the doctor? I said I feel fine already. Nothing is wrong. I'm not crazy."
the doc came, examined her, and she played nice weather with him... so he told my mum to call again when something was happening. this resulted in my mum staying over at grandma's place for the night.
There they are again, those stupid cats. Better open up my window again, it helped the last time. "Shoo, get out of my room!"
mum woke up and went to my grandma's bedroom. what she saw made her call the doc again. this could not go on this way.
She called the doctor again? Is there really something strange going on with me? Hey why do I have my windows open? That is not normal. Can I tell them what happened? I do not want to be locked up in a nuthouse, I am not that crazy. I am not crazy. Not crazy, not crazy...
a couple of hours later they found a place for her. i was at my work and mum called me. i got off and collected mum and granny in the car.
"Look out for those people ridin' on the hood!"
"Well, of course grandma, they have to pay me when we get there, so we have to be careful."
"Look at those flats, the walls filled with graffiti. It's awefull!"
"Well grandma, some call it art."
"You must think I am crazy."
"No grandma, you just had the wrong combination in pills. You are as crazy as I am."
"Should that be a compliment?"
"Never mind grandma, we are here."

From that point on, it only went better. She got other pills and she cleared up. After 2 weeks she could go home again. Only to be there for a few weeks before having a stroke and getting diagnosed with lung cancer. They cleared her of the cancer, till now....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You really set the right mood here, slighty funny but with a deeper thought. Really well done.

Anonymous said...

The way you wrote about this from the perspective of your grandma really made me think and see things in a different way. It gave me more of an appreciation for what it must be like to be in that stage of life. It's very sobering. Thanks for sharing this with us. Well done!

©ynni said...

Thank you Steve and Snapecake. It was hard to write it, both because I do not know all that went on and because it was very personal.
But I am happy to be able to write about it... *hugs*