Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Getting into shape again…

…trying to remember if I ever had a shape…

I know that ever since my surgery on October 15th 2008, I have not been to sportive. I did my therapy, walked a lot whenever the weather allowed it and also rode on my bike for several 100 kilometers already. But seeing my back kept hurting and bugging me, I kinda slowed down on the walking a lot, biking a lot and going to the gym like twice or three times a week.

AIR-ZOOM-VOMERO-3-womens It’s also been ages since I ran. It’s been ages since I’ve been able to so I guess I could blame it on that. So today I thought throughout my working hours that I should start running again. Building up my muscles and my condition. So about an hour after dinner I grabbed my almost new running shoes (had only used them in the gym during fitness) and searched for my shorts.
I put on my Polar waistband and watch and got Joyce and George to come along. I knew I would hold them back, so I also told them it was OK if they wanted to run in front of me. I tried the 1 minute running, 2 minutes walking in a bit higher speed than usual for a while. But in the two minutes that my pulse had to recover, my heart rate kept getting higher and higher. After 3 intervals, I urged Joyce and George to go on and I would follow them…in an even slower speed, but one I felt a bit more comfortable with. I almost went mad at myself for slowing them down and not being able to keep up with them. But I know that’s stupid. We all have different backgrounds and I just hope I’ll be able to build my muscles and condition up again so I can keep up! They ran again for a while and I followed with 30 seconds running (in which my heart rate accelerated like 40/50 beats per minute!) and then 1 or 1:30 minute of walking (in which my heart rate slowly crept back to around the 130/135 beats again). When they turned and came running to me again, I turned as well and went along. The last stretch, George ran alone and Joyce and I followed, using my heart rate as interface in between the runs.

Since we walked towards the street where we’d do the running, I started my Polar heart rate sensor. This way I could keep track of the running and walking time and also of my heart rate. I always keep a “record” of what I did and what my heart did according to the Polar wrist watch. This way I can monitor the improvements… If there are any *winks*.

Exe time 0:55:50 minutes
In zone 0:26:38 minutes
Average HR 145
Kcal 468
Fat % 40

abburnerThe running/walking thing took about 45 minutes and then I spend 3x15 crunches on out ab thingie, which took 10 minutes (well, from getting home to getting to the ab trainer and doing the exercises).

So this is what my “training” looked like. My muscles will hate me, they are starting to already… So I will get into my PJ’s soon, so my muscles will not cool too fast. Then I’ll head for the couch, watch some TV while I enjoy some “7-up free Xtra Bite”.

I am still working on my vacation updates, so stay tuned for those. Tomorrow, my mum, Joyce and I will go to the new Harry Potter movie in the cinema, so no working on my blog then… Maybe Friday after dinner and my work out *smile*.

TTFN everyone!
Cynni xxx

1 comment:

Sjak said...

Eeeeeey! Thanx for your lovely b-day card, and also voor your sms which I didn't see until yesterday (I don't use my phone all that much, goes to show how popular I am...).
I was just reading an enjoying your vacation blogs. You still have a long ways to go, but from what I read so far you had quite a relaxed time. Such a shame that you had to feel all stressful again when you got home, just because you had to go to work again. It really shouldn't be that way. I would almost say; there are more fish in the sea (aka more jobs on the market), but that is easier said than done, I know that too. And I guess it's not your work or your co-workers you dread, it's just your boss (who sounds to me like a complete nincompoop, to say the least). Well, I just hope that things will improve at work so you can enjoy going to work again and not feel stressed out all the time.
Big yay on the getting in shape again by the way. Good for you. I really admire your perseverance (and yes, I did have to look that one up). I guess I need some of that too. Though for 2 days now I have been getting busy with my new toy, my very own Wii with the fit game and the balance board. YAY! It is so much fun that I don't even really notice that I am actually working out somewhat. I hope I'll be able to keep it up, doing games and exercises regularly, so I too can get into a bit of a better shape again.
Erm... well, it looks like I typed maybe a bit more than intended. Sorry about that.
One more thing though; we should definately meet up again some time soon. Not just for getting each others stuff back (though you can't have your book back yet because (you guessed it) I still haven't finished it *oops*) but to catch up as well. Maybe you can come round my place some time. Maybe bring a fun game for the Wii (coz I don't have anything yet, except sports and fit) so you, as the expert, can show me what else this thing can do. You have to bring your own remote though coz I also have just one of those (yet).
Okay, now I'll really stop rambling, I promise.
Keep the posts coming and, oh, by the way, enjoy Harry Potter today. I went to see it yesterday and I loved it (very exciting, very funny and very sad at times)!
See ya!
xx
Sjak